More and more parents are finding essential oils to be helpful in providing symptomatic relief for some of the issues that accompany autism. Although essential oils are not a substitute for medical advice and treatment, they may be helpful in aiding in the management of some of the symptoms. This may include helping your child remain calmer during transition periods and to sleep more soundly.
Which essential oils may be most useful for autism?
- Vetiver has a sedative quality, and may help to calm and stabilize the emotions.
- Cedar Wood has a soothing and calming effect, and is used to help balance emotions.
- Frankincense is often recommended as an effective sedative, which may lower anxiety, anger, and stress. It helps to promote a sense of peace and calm.
- Lavender is known to be helpful in promoting sleep as well as reducing anxiety and stress.
- Mandarin Orange has a wonderful scent and helps to balance emotions as well as providing stress relief. Using after a meal facilitates digestion.
- Sandalwood helps to improve memory and reduce anxiety.
Use any of the above listed oils singularly or try combing them to create your own blend!
Simply add a few drops (8 to 10 in total) of your chosen oil(s) to bathwater, blend several drops with carrier oil and apply to the back of the neck, bottoms of the feet and spine, or use in a diffuser. Also, keep a rollerball applicator in your purse so you always have your favorite essential oil(s) at hand when needed.