Bay Laurel, Laurus nobilis is an aromatic evergreen tree or large shrub with green, glabrous leaves, in the flowering plant family Lauraceae. It is native to the Mediterranean region and ranges in size from small and shrub-like to tall and towering. Although the plant produces little black berries, the source of its bay oil is its leaves, which are also renowned for adding flavor in cooking. The fragrance of bay laurel is notably herbal and camphoraceous with subtle fruit and clove notes.
- Antiseptic – The antiseptic properties of Bay Laurel make this oil a desired modality for protecting wounds against infections and inhibiting bacterial growth.
- Antibiotic – Known for it’s antibiotic properties, this oil may be used to help inhibit growth of microbes, bacteria, or fungi.
- Anti-Neuralgic – Due to it’s antiseptic and analgesic properties, this oil may be helpful in easing symptomatic pain from Neuralgia.
- Anti-Spasmodic – May be helpful in easing symptoms such as diarrhea, abdominal spasms and respiratory spasms.
- Analgesic – May be used to help ease pain.
- Aperitif – Bay Laurel is used to help enhance one’s appetite.
- Emenagogue – This properties of Bay Essential Oil is effective in turning on obstructed menses and making them more regular. It also helps ease pain and other troubles associated with menstrual periods.
- Fever – Used to help reduce fever.
- Insects – May be used to ward of insects.
- Calming – May be helpful in reducing stress, anxiety and depression.
- Detox – Bay Laurel may be used to help ride the body of toxins.
How to Use
- Place in a diffuser for to clean the air.
- May be directly inhaled from the bottle or cloth for the symptomatic relief of colds and congestion.
- Add a 8 – 10 drops to your bath to relieve stress and tension, and pain.
- For the symptomatic relief of muscle aches and pains, add a few drops to carrier oil then rub onto the affected areas.
- For fatigue put a few drops on a cotton ball and inhale for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add a few drops to hot water, drape a towel over your head and inhale the vapors to clear the lungs and nasal passages.