Celery is a cultivated plant, a variety of the Apiaceae family, and is commonly used as a vegetable or its seeds as a spice. The plant grows approximately 3 feet tall, the leaves are pinnate with thombic leaflets, and are adorned with flowers that are creamy white in color and approximately 2-3 mm in diameter. The oil is produced in France, India and the Netherlands by steam distillation of the seeds of particular varieties. The oil is spicy and warm, with a long lasting aroma.
Celery seed essential oil is favored for:
- Considered to be Celery oil’s most impressive trait, it is used to provide good flow of urine and, is used to remove toxins and excess uric acid from the blood.
- Immune System – Celery Seed essential oil is rich in vitamin C, which may aid in strengthening the immune system.
- Digestion – Celery oil is used to stimulate and strengthen the digestive system, promote digestion, relieve cramps and spasms in the intestines and ease flatulence.
- Joints – Those suffering from rheumatism, gout and arthritis use this oil to reduce swelling and pain in and around the joints.
- Sleep Aid – Celery Seed essential oil may aid in promoting a calming effect on the body and mind, relieving tension, stress or anxiety, while perhaps encouraging an uninterrupted night’s sleep.
- Calming – Celery Seed essential oil may also be useful in promoting calm and relaxation, perhaps uplifting the mood!