Coffee and it’s essential oil are extracted from coffee beans which primarily come from the Coffea arabica plant. This plant, also known as the “Coffee shrub of Arabia”, is believed to be the first species of coffee cultivated, and is by far the dominant cultivar, representing some 70% of the global population. Wild plants take approximately 7 years to mature, grow between 30 – 39 feet tall, and have an open branch system, with long, broad, glossy, deep green leaves. The plant produces berries which contain locules, or small cavities that house the coffee beans.
Coffee essential oil is extracted by cold pressing green coffee beans. Its high concentration of essential fatty acids, sterols, and vitamin E make it a potent antioxidant that can offer protection against skin damage such as sunburn cell formation and DNA degradation. It can also assist in the prevention of the development of photoaging and inflammatory skin disorders.
- Anti-Aging – The antioxidants found in Coffee essential oil may help to reduce oxidative stress in the skin, increasing blood flow to those cells and preventing infections and chronic disease. This oil may also help counter the appearance of wrinkles, age spots and blemishes, while improving elasticity of the skin. You can apply a small amount of diluted coffee essential oil, or oil mixed with a carrier oil, to the parts of your skin that you want to shine!
- Respiratory Health – Inhaling coffee essential oil may help to soothe inflammation in the respiratory tracts which may help prevent infections in that part of the body.
- Cancer – Research is ongoing on the effect of Coffee essential oil on cancer and mutagenic effects within the body. The concentrations of linoleic and oleic acids, as well as other antioxidants, are believed to lower the risk of cancer and oxidative stress in various organ systems.
- Inflammation – Revered for it’s anti-inflammatory properties, Coffee oil is ideal to help ease sore muscles, arthritis, gout and achy joints.
- Allergies – Research has shown that the active compounds in Coffee essential oil may help to cut down on the body’s allergic response.
- Stress and Anxiety – Diffusing this rich and warm aroma throughout your home can provide a general feeling of peace and calm.
- Digestion – If you are struggling with gastrointestinal issues, such as constipation, nausea or irritable bowel syndrome, the antioxidants and acids found in Coffee essential oil may help with digestion, eliminate nausea and vomiting, and ensure proper nutrient uptake.
- Cellulite – May help reduce cellulite.
How to Use
- Wrinkles – To reduce the appearance of find lines and wrinkles, add a few drops (1 or 2) to 1 tablespoon of a carrier oil such as Jojoba or Coconut, blend well and apply to the face and other areas nightly. Tip: Add a drop or two of Coffee oil to your face cream and apply nightly.
- To help with proper digestion or nausea add a few drops to your favorite carrier oil and massage over the abdomen.
- To feel peaceful and reduce stress, inhale Coffee oil straight from the bottle, add a few drops to the palms of your cupped hands and breathe, or add a drop or two to your diffuser.
- Keep your home, car or work space calm – Add a few drops to your diffuser and use at home, work or in your car diffuser.
- Cellulite – Before exercise, add several drops to a carrier oil and massage onto areas of cellulite.