Evening primrose oil comes from the seeds of the wildflower Oenothera biennis, which grows throughout the United States. The species varies in size from small plants 10 centimeters tall to vigorous lowland species growing to 3 meters. The leaves form a basal rosette at ground level and spiral up to the flowering stems. The blades are deeply lobed, and the flowers open in the evening, hence the name “evening primrose”. The flowers may open in under one minute and, vary in color from yellow, white, purple, pink or red.
Evening Primrose oil has been labeled as the most incredible preventative discovery since vitamin C!
Evening Primrose essential oil is favored for:
- Balancing Hormones – Woman around the world use Evening Primrose oil to balance hormones and naturally treat symptoms of PMS and Menopause such as bloating, irritability, brain fog and headaches just to name a few. It is also used to promote fertility.
- Eczema – Evening Primrose is a valued choice for those suffering from skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, atopic dermatitis and psoriasis.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – Evening Primrose oil contains a high concentration of a fatty acid called GLA, which is largely responsible for the amazing healing properties of the plant. GLA has been shown to lessen the joint pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Diabetes, Neuropathy – Neuropathy is commonly seen as one of the symptoms of diabetes, research indicates that the GLA in Evening Primrose oil may help prevent and in some cases reverse the signs of nerve damage.
- Skin, Hair and Nails – Evening Primrose oil is often used to promote healthy skin, hair and strengthen dry cracked nails.