Ginger Root is an herb that consists of twelve-inch long green leaves, yellow-white blossoms and a vast root system that spreads underground. The rhizome which is the part of the stem that is found underground is used as a spice and also to make the essential oil. Ginger Root has been used in cooking and medicine since ancient times. It is often used as a remedy for upset stomach and loss of appetite.
Ginger is still being studied for its benefits to cancer patients. According to the American Cancer Society, many studies have been conducted on the efficacy of ginger for postoperative nausea. Studies did find that Ginger essential oil was cytotoxic (toxic to cells) to prostate and lung cancers, however not to breast cancer.
Ginger Root essential oil is used for:
- Cancer – Many individuals use this oil to compliment their treatment of cancer.
- Inflammation and Pain – Ginger Root is widely used to reduce inflammation. Research shows that its anti-inflammatory properties can be attributed to a substance named Zingibain. This oil is an analgesic in nature and is utilized to reduce pain caused by muscle aches, arthritis, rheumatic conditions, migraines and headaches. It is further believed that regular use of Ginger leads to the reduction of prostaglandins, which are the compounds associated with pain.
- Stomach and Intestines – Ginger Root is often desired as a remedy for indigestion, stomach-aches, dyspepsia, spasms, colic, flatulence, diarrhea and bowel related problems.
- Nausea and Vomiting – Ginger Root may be used for motion sickness and vomiting. Many chemotherapy patients utilize this oil to calm the stomach.
- Respiratory – Ginger Root is considered an expectorant and is used in treating a variety of respiratory problems such as cold, cough, flu, asthma, bronchitis and breathlessness. This oil is also used for clearing mucus from the throat, lungs and respiratory tract.
- Lower Blood Pressure – Ginger Root essential oil is used in reducing cholesterol levels and blood clots. Good for the heart! Use as part of your daily regimen.
- Stress Reducer – Ginger Root essential oil is stimulating to the senses and may help in relieving mental stress, exhaustion, restlessness, anxiety and depression.
- Aphrodisiac – An aphrodisiac by nature, Ginger Root is used in treating impotency issues as well as premature ejaculation.
There are no reviews yet.