The Grapefruit is a hybrid originating in Barbados as an accidental cross between two introduced species, the sweet orange and the pomelo or shaddock. Also known as the forbidden fruit, it is said to be one of the seven wonders of Barbados. One story of the fruit’s origin is that a certain “Captain Shaddock” brought pomelo seeds to Jamaica and bred the first fruit. It was given the name “Grapefruit” because of the way the fruit grows in clusters similar to grapes.
The grapefruit tree grows to approximately 16–20 feet tall, produces white four-petaled flowers, and the flesh of the fruit is segmented and acidic.
Grapefruit comes in a variety of colors which include white, pink and red pulps. The “redder” the fruit, the sweeter the flavor.
Pink Grapefruit essential oil has a number of uses in aromatherapy and is well liked for its gentle properties. It is also known as the “happy” oil due to its uplifting qualities and is said to improve concentration. The difference between Pink Grapefruit and White Grapefruit is minor, Pink Grapefruit is sweeter and has a fresh, sweet citrus smell that is very characteristic of the fruit. Grapefruit Pink essential oil is believed by aromatherapists to be a spiritual up-lifter, and to ease muscle fatigue and stiffness. It is also a purifier of congested, oily and acne prone skin and may be added to creams and lotions as a natural toner and cellulite treatment.
Grapefruit (pink) is favored for:
- Cholesterol – Grapefruit may be helpful in maintaining healthy levels or reducing cholesterol.
- Appetite Suppressant – Pink Grapefruit is used to reduce appetite. The scent of grapefruit may help to reduce the feeling of hunger and, is why people often include it in their weight loss program.
- Antioxidant – Pink Grapefruit is used to aid in detoxing the body as it contains a flavonoid called Naringin, which is considered to be a powerful antioxidant.
- Fever Reducer – Used to reduce fever.
- Fatigue – The nice scent of this oil may help lift ones mood and spirits.
- Digestion – Grapefruit is used to balance and tone the digestive system, cleanse the kidneys, liver, gallbladder and lymphatic system to help the body rid itself of toxins.
- Insomnia – Pink Grapefruit contains the chemical tryptophan, which may aid those having difficulty sleeping.
- Constipation – May be helpful in reducing the symptoms of constipation.
- Disinfectant – This oil contains anti-viral and anti-microbial properties and may be helpful as a disinfectant.