The evergreen grapefruit tree usually grows between 16-20 feet in height, although they have been know to grow up to 43-49 feet. The leaves are glossy dark green, long (up to 5.9 inches) and thin. It produces 2 inch white four-petaled flowers. The fruit is yellow-orange skinned and generally an oblate spheroid in shape, the flesh is segmented and acidic, varying in color which include white, pink and red pulps of varying sweetness (generally, the redder varieties are sweeter).
Like the fruit itself, the essential oil of Grapefruit is rich in antioxidants. Primarily, it has a wealth of Vitamin-C. This vitamin, combined with the other antioxidant components present in grapefruit essential oil, boosts our immune system and fights against the activity of free radicals. This oil is effective in protecting the body from all harm done by various oxidants and toxins, including premature aging, degeneration of tissues, macular degeneration, loss of vision and hearing, mental and physical sluggishness, nervous disorders and other related problems.
Grapefruit White essential oil has a number of uses in aromatherapy and is well liked for its gentle properties. It is also known as the “happy” oil due to its uplifting qualities and is said to improve concentration. The difference between Pink Grapefruit and White Grapefruit is minor, Pink Grapefruit is sweeter and has a fresh, sweet citrus smell that is very characteristic of the fruit. Grapefruit White essential oil is believed by aromatherapists to be a spiritual up-lifter, and to ease muscle fatigue and stiffness. It is also a purifier of congested, oily and acne prone skin and may be added to creams and lotions as a natural toner and cellulite treatment.
Grapefruit (white) is favored for:
- Cholesterol – Grapefruit may be helpful in maintaining healthy levels or reducing cholesterol.
- Appetite Suppressant – Grapefruit is used to reduce appetite. The scent of grapefruit may help to reduce the feeling of hunger and, is why people often include it in their weight loss program.
- Antioxidant – Grapefruit is often used to aid in detoxing the body as it contains a flavonoid called Naringin, which is considered to be a powerful antioxidant.
- Fever Reducer – Used to reduce fever.
- Fatigue – The nice scent of this oil may help lift ones mood and spirits.
- Digestion – Grapefruit is used to balance and tone the digestive system, cleanse the kidneys, liver, gallbladder and lymphatic system to help the body rid itself of toxins.
- Insomnia – Grapefruit contains the chemical tryptophan, which may aid those having difficulty sleeping.
- Constipation – May be helpful in reducing the symptoms of constipation.
- Disinfectant – This oil contains anti-viral and anti-microbial properties and may be helpful as a disinfectant.