Honeysuckle essential oil is derived from the bright orange flowers of the honeysuckle plant, and has been used for more than 1,400 years in traditional medical practices of China. It has become a more globally known oil after the rich concentration of active compounds, antioxidants and volatile acids were discovered and researched. The uses of this oil extend past topical or inhalation applications, and include cosmetic and bath products, as well as massage oils and exfoliators. The impressive range of health benefits is caused by the rich supply of quercetin, vitamin C, potassium and other critical nutrients, as well as numerous other antioxidants.
Using honeysuckle essential oil may be particularly helpful for people who wish to treat inflammatory conditions, split ends, hair loss, skin irritation, wrinkles, headaches, diabetes, chronic diseases, pain, anxiety, stress or depression.
- Antioxidant Properties – Known to be packed with antioxidants, this oil has been linked to reducing the occurrence of oxidative stress and lowering free radical levels in the body. Simply inhaling this oil from a diffuser may help protect you from cancer and protect against a range of chronic diseases. This is also why honeysuckle essential is so commonly used on the skin, as it may also minimize the appearance of wrinkles and age spots, while drawing blood to the surface of the skin, promoting growth of new cells and a rejuvenated look.
- Diabetes – It is said that Honeysuckle essential oil has proven effects on blood sugar levels in the body, and may help to increase insulin resistance in the body. By regulating glucose and insulin levels, diabetic patients may avoid the dangerous spikes and drops in blood sugar, and may help healthy people avoid developing diabetes.
- Headaches – The potent anti-inflammatory properties of this oil makes it ideal for soothing headaches within minutes. You can use a face steamer or an essential oil diffuser, or topically apply the oil to your temples, for calming and rapid relief from your throbbing headache.
- Chronic Pain – Honeysuckle has long been known as an analgesic, dating back to its use in Chinese traditional medicine. Whether the pain is the result of a chronic illness, injury or surgery, inhaling this essential oil or adding it to your bathwater may help ease your pain, both inside and out.
- Hair – There are certain rejuvenating compounds in honeysuckle essential oil that can help improve dry or brittle hair and split ends. By adding a few drops of this oil to your shampoo, you can give an extra moisturizing boost to your locks and improve the appearance of your hair from scalp to tip!
- Skin Conditions and Exfoliator – Commonly included in cosmetic products, Honeysuckle essential oil may soothe inflamed skin, eliminate pigmentation, and exfoliate your pores to reduce symptoms of acne. Furthermore, it can handle symptoms of eczema, psoriasis and other unsightly inflammatory skin conditions. It is also excellent for treating burns, scrapes and cuts, and protecting them from infection, thanks to its antibacterial properties.
- Anxiety and Depression – This beautiful oil is uplifting to the senses and is ideal for anxiety and depression.
- Digestion – Used to balance the gut, and re-balance your microflora environment. This may lead to fewer symptoms of bloating, cramping, indigestion and constipation, while also increasing the nutrient uptake in your body.
How to Use
- Bath – Adding 4-5 drops of honeysuckle essential oil to your bath can fill the room with a pleasant aroma, while also easing sore and tense muscles, eliminating any bacteria present on the skin, and providing a relaxing atmosphere to clear your mind and release stress.
- Room Deodorizer – Diffusing honeysuckle essential oil into a room will not only sweeten the smell of your space, but can also neutralize many airborne bacteria or pathogens, helping to keep your surfaces and floors clear of dangerous bacterial growth. Adding a few drops of this oil to your dust rag can also maximize the protective effects of your weekly cleaning!
- Massage – Honeysuckle essential oil is a popular addition to massage oil blends, as it provides a warming, muscle-relaxing and stimulating element to the massage. Increasing blood flow to the extremities and the surface of the skin, this oil may help speed healing and eliminate toxins locked up in tense muscles.