Lemons are a wonderful fruit that are clean, sharp and fresh in fragrance. They are rich in vitamin C and have been used in culinary, medicinal and cosmetic uses around the world for centuries.
The lemon is a species of small evergreen tree native to Asia. The tree’s ellipsoidal yellow fruit is used for culinary and non-culinary purposes throughout the world, primarily for its juice, which has both culinary and cleaning uses. The pulp and rind (zest) are also used in cooking and baking. The juice of the lemon is about 5% to 6% citric acid, which gives a sour taste. The distinctive sour taste of lemon juice makes it a key ingredient in drinks and foods such as lemonade and lemon meringue pie. The essential oil comes from the rind of the lemon through the process of cold press.
Lemon essential oil is favored for:
- Skin – Lemon has strong astringent and detoxifying properties and may reduce the appearance of scars and other marks on the skin as well as help with reducing the symptoms of eczema.
- Stress Reducer – Well known for its calming properties, Lemon may help reduce symptoms of irritability, anger, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia and depression. Is uplifting and brings a feeling of calm and peace. You may dilute with water and spray on your pillowcases and sheets.
- Immune System – Lemon essential oil has high vitamin content and may be helpful in strengthening the immune system.
- Breathing – Lemon essential oil may be helpful in clearing the nasal passages and sinuses, and to promote steady and clear breathing. Inhale through a vaporizer, cloth or diffuser. Also very calming when added to a warm bath.
- Sleep – Lemon is known to be calming and soothing and may be helpful to those suffering from insomnia.
- Stomach – Lemon is a carminative and is used to reduce symptoms related to stomach problems such as indigestion, acidity, upset stomach and cramps.
- Hair Care – Lemon may be helpful in reducing dandruff by keeping the skin moisturized and healthy.
- Weight Loss – Lemon is often used in weight management as it helps to reduce the appetite.
- Scented Products – Lemon essential oil has a refreshing, citrusy aroma and is a great ingredient for perfumes, scented candles, potpourris and cosmetics.
- Excellent for liver support.
- Promotes detoxification and supports the lymphatic system. It also encourages bile secretion, aids liver function and reduces toxin build up in fat cells.