A lime is a citrus fruit, which is typically round in shape, lime green in color, is roughly 1.2 to 2.4 inches in diameter, and contains acidic juice vesicles. There are several species of citrus trees whose fruits are called limes, including the Key lime (Citrus aurantifolia), Persian lime, Kaffir lime, and Dessert Lime. Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C, and are often used to accent the flavors of foods and beverages. They are grown year-round in tropical climates and are usually smaller and less sour than lemons, although varieties may differ in sugar and acidic content. Plants with fruit called “limes” have diverse genetic origins; limes do not form a monophyletic group. The essential oil from lime comes from the rind through cold pressed process. Limes have a stronger flavor and more acidity than lemons, however, their essential oil has a similar fragrance and the same properties and can be used in the same way.
Lime essential oil is favored for:
- Skin – Lime is used to smooth the skin and tone tissue. It can be utilized to treat dull, oily skin through its mild bleaching action. It is ideal for removing warts and is used to prevent infection when used on insect bites.
- Anti-Bacterial – Lime is used as a treatment of sore throat, bronchitis, coughs, throat infections, colds and influenza.
- Digestion – Lime is ideal for easing indigestion, expelling gas from the intestines and purifying the blood.
- Focus- Promotes clear focus and concentration.
- Stress Reducer – Well known for its calming properties, Lime is used to reduce symptoms of irritability, anger, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia and depression. It promotes feelings of peace and calm.
There are no reviews yet.