Palo Santo essential oil is derived from the Palo Santo tree (in Spanish it’s name means Holy Wood) which is native to Central and South American countries, such as Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Mexico and Costa Rica. Unlike many other essential oils that come from common plants and herbs, Palo Santo trees are considered sacred by many different cultures due to the historic importance of the tree’s wood in religious traditions. In certain countries, only the fallen dead trees are allowed to be collected and processed for their oils or burned for ceremonies and rituals. The smoke of this burning wood has a distinct scent and is believed to ward off evil spirits. However, through a steam distillation process, the concentrated resins and oils can be extracted, which is said to provide a wide range of health and spiritual benefits.
This oil is considered to have impressive effects on human health that are largely the result of extremely high limonene content, as well as lower levels of alpha-terpineol and carvone. These compounds are considered to have various antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, sedative, and relaxant, anti-mutagenic and immune-boosting properties that make this oil highly sought after.
Palo Santo oil provides an uplifting scent that raises your vibration in preparation for meditation and allows for a deeper connection to the Source of all creation. It is also said that Palo Santo enhances creativity and brings good fortune to those who are open to its magic.
Palo Santo oil is for and may help with:
- Muscle aches and pains
- Coughs, colds, respiratory infections
- Depression, anxiety, stress
- Skin conditions
- Increase anti-oxidants
- Alzheimers, Dementia
- Heart health
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Chronic pain
- Wrinkles, skin care
- Mosquitos and other insects
- As a room deodorizer
How to Use
- For pain, digestion and inflammation; add 2 – 3 drops to 1 Tablespoon of a carrier oil such as avocado, sweet almond, jojoba or coconut and massage in a circular motion onto affected areas.
- Skin; add 2 – 3 drops to a carrier oil and apply to the parts you want to nourish and shine!
- Headaches, Memory and Allergies, dilute 1 – 2 drops with 1 teaspoon of a carrier oil and apply to the temples, wrists and forehead. Add a drop or two to a diffuser and place on a night stand or table at home, or place in your work environment. Great to use in the car, simply add a drop or two to your BlueStone Car Diffuser.
- Mosquitos and Insects; combine 20 drops of Palo Santo oil to 2 Tablespoons of a carrier oil in a dark glass bottle, shake well and apply to exposed skin before heading outside. Add a few drops to your diffuser and place in parts of the home which are near open windows and doors.
- As a room deodorizer spray; fill an 8 oz mister bottle with water and add approximately 4 drops of Palo Santo and 6 drops of Orange essential oils, shake well before misting. Feel free to adjust the amount of oils to create the perfect scent for you.
- May help eliminate bacteria and viruses, as well as foul odors while cleansing both the air and any surfaces in a given area.
- Meditation; apply 2 – 3 drops in the palms of your hands, rub together and then inhale from cupped hands. Add a few drops to your diffuser and place in the area of which you will be meditating.
- Sleep; apply to the temples, wrists and under nose before bed, also add a few drops to a diffuser and place near your bed.
- To help promote peace and reduce stress, add 8 – 10 drops with one cup of milk to a warm bath, disperse and then soak for approximately 10 – 20 minutes.
- Want a nice uplifting boost? Dilute several drops with a carrier oil, massage the oil on your arms, chest, back of neck and legs, wait 5 minutes and then step into a nice warm/hot shower. The heat of the water will open the pores, your skin will absorb the oils and the warm water will create a nice vapor for you to inhale. This is wonderful to do first thing in the morning before starting your day or in the evening when you are ready to relax.
Need a diffuser or car diffuser? Take a look at our selection!