Sage is a perennial, evergreen sub shrub with woody stems, grayish leaves, and blue to purplish flowers. It is a member of the family Lamiaceae and is native to the Mediterranean region, though it has naturalized in many places throughout the world. It has a long history of medicinal and culinary use, and in modern times as an ornamental garden plant. The common name “sage” is also used for a number of related and unrelated species.
Sage (Clary) essential oil is favored for:
- Antifungal – Sage contains camphene and camphor, which give it its antifungal properties. It may help to reduce infection and symptoms of skin problems such as eczema, dermatitis and athlete’s foot.
- Antibacterial – Sage is revered for its antibacterial properties and is widely used to treat various bacterial infections.
- Antioxidant – Sage is a wonderful antioxidant and may be used to rid the body of free radicals as well as prevent the build up of other toxins.
- Antiseptic – Known for its antiseptic properties, Sage is used to protect wounds form bacteria.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties – Sage is widely used for its soothing and cooling effects which help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Digestion- Used for maintaining and improving digestion and to help the body rid excess gas as well as prevent new gas from forming.
- Hormones – Clary sage affects the hormones of the body because it contains natural phytoestrogens, which are referred to as “dietary estrogens” that are derived from plants and not within the endocrine system. These phytoestrogens give clary sage the ability to cause estrogenic effects. It regulates estrogen levels and ensures the long-term health of the uterus — reducing the chances of uterine and ovarian cancer. A lot of health issues today, even things like infertility, polycystic ovary syndrome and estrogen-based cancers, are caused from excess estrogen in the body — in part because of our consumption of high-estrogen foods. Because clary sage helps balance out those estrogen levels, it’s an incredibly effective essential oil.
- Skin – Sage has strong cicatrisant properties and may help reduce the appearance of scars and other marks on the skin.
- Cough and Cold – Used to treat bronchitis, congestion, sinusitis and colds. Used for loosening phlegm and clearing mucus from the lungs and sinuses.
- Constipation – Used for relieving constipation.