Sandalwood Santalum album, or Indian sandalwood, is a small tropical tree, and is the most commonly known source of sandalwood. It is native to India, Indonesia, and the Malay Archipelago. Certain cultures place great significance on its fragrant and medicinal qualities. It is also considered sacred in some religions and is used in different religious traditions. The high value of the species has caused its past exploitation, to the point where the wild population is vulnerable to extinction. Indian sandalwood still commands high prices for its essential oil, but due to lack of sizable trees it is no longer used for fine woodworking as before. This class (or, genre) is heavy, yellow, fine-grained, and unlike most other aromatic wood, the fragrance is retained for decades hence, Sandalwood oil may slowly be extracted for use. Both the wood and the oil produce a distinctive fragrance that has been highly valued for centuries.
Sandalwood essential oil is favored for:
- Antiseptic – Known for its antiseptic properties, Sandalwood is often used to protect wounds from bacterial infections.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Sandalwood is widely sought after for its soothing and cooling effects, as it is effective in reducing inflammation and may help ease arthritis, rheumatism and muscular pains.
- Calming – This oil may help reduce irritability, anger, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia and depression. Brings a feeling of calm and peace. You may dilute with water and spray on your pillowcases and sheets.
- Astringent properties – Due to its astringent properties, this oil may aid in strengthening the gums, teeth and muscles as well as tighten the skin.
- Supports the Pituitary Gland.
- Cicatrisant Properties – Sandalwood is considered to have cicatrisant properties and may reduce the appearance of scars and other marks on the skin. It is used to treat eczema, dermatitis and dry or cracked skin.
- Antibacterial – This essential oil has antibacterial properties and may be helpful in treating bronchitis, relieve congestion, loosen phlegm and clear mucus.
- Cognitive – This oil is uplifting and may help increase focus and concentration as well as ease stress and tension.
- Sleep – Sandalwood is calming and soothing and may be helpful to those suffering from insomnia.
- Digestion – Widely used to promote healthy digestion, and clear excess gas from the intestines.
I started using blue stone back in Feb 2016. I now have over 50 of blue stone oils. Kibosh and Sandlewood are of on my favorites. I have severe knee problems bone on bone. I will not take narcotics so I guess
Do alternative treatments. These two oils gave been a true God send along with Michelle and her help with blends. Definitely a must for pain relief and antiamflamatory releif.